Pages

November 3, 2020

11/3/2020: Starting my pre-course work

I completed the first of my Tech Elevator pre-course work today. This included signing up for BitBucket, FreeCodeCamp, and completing a typing course based on code. The first two I already had logins for, so just had to change my email address to match the one Tech Elevator has. 

The typing course was interesting, seeing as coding has so many non-alpha characters. I didn't do as well as I'd hoped, but I also didn't have the auto-complete I'm accustomed to using in Visual Studio. Turns out I have a tendency to fat finger things. Sometimes my left hand moves faster than my right: I'll hit the Shift key for a capital, having already hit the letter. On double letters, I sometimes don't push the key down far enough for the 2nd letter. Invariably I wouldn't see the mistake until two or three letters later, minimum.

At one time I could type 80 wpm, reliably.

The next module I completed was FreeCodeCamp's HTML and HTML5 course. This took about a quarter of the time suggested because I was already familiar with HTML and didn't learn anything new in the course. I've added research on HTML5 to my list of things to do, since the only reference I saw had to do with semantic elements (heading vs head). A quick Google tells me there are new elements, attributes, and APIs. Since this course didn't really touch on those things I guess it was difficult to mention them as new. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to schedule out my days now, since I've been living free-form for the past year plus. In doing so I'm reminded how little time there actually is in a day when I have so much I want to accomplish. Transitions are traditionally difficult for those with ADHD, and I've gotten into the habit of taking long breaks between activities. Even trying to allow myself time for transitions didn't work today. Too much habit to overcome too quickly, I guess, which is why I'm happy to have this adjustment time before diving into a 40 hour work week again. As long as I keep plugging away at it, I'll slowly form the new routines I need. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's accomplishments:
13K+ steps
Watch Critical Role's Deadwood
Grocery Shopping


 

No comments: