Pages

November 24, 2020

11/24/2020: Running, Athena toys, and unemployment

I had an online journal in 2002, moved to journal on MySpace after that, then started blogging in 2013. This was around the same time I started running with Jeff. I never did enjoy the actual act of running, except when sprinting. I felt like I was flying then, but can only sprint in short bursts. I did enjoy knowing I HAD run. Unfortunately, running caused me a lot of pain and ultimately knee surgery. After the surgery I couldn't even walk without pain for over a year, so running went away.

Knowing all that, I find I enjoy running with Athena. I can only run for a minute or two, and if I don't stretch I pay for it the next day. She gets so much enjoyment out of it though, it makes me laugh. I don't think as much about how uncomfortable I am, watching her. Combine that with a boredom in our twice daily walks, plus it's getting colder outside, plus I'll have less time with bootcamp and ultimately working again, plus I seem to be stuck at 190 lb and can't add any more time to our walks. Suddenly I find I'm interested in running again.

I decided to start slow and focus on how I feel. We walked up the block this morning, ran the little offshoot at the top of the street, then headed down the next street over. We ran from fire hydrant to fire hydrant, walked the next, ran the next, all the way down the street. We walked between streets, did the same up the next street over, then walked home. We will walk tonight, I've an alarm set to stretch before bed, and we'll try running again tomorrow morning. 

edit: It was raining/snowing on our evening walk, and Athena balked before we even got to the corner. She will walk in light rain, but really REALLY doesn't like when she starts to feel wet. She literally sat down and utterly refused to continue. I've successfully pulled her along until she gave up when she got like this in the past, but I don't like doing that. I've decided days like this are rest days, and am content as long as she pees while we're out. It's the first time in 48 days I've not reached 10K steps. Next time I'll get on the treadmill or go out without her. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Athena's new toy. It keeps her entertained for like 5 minutes. It would entertain her longer if I let her chew on it. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It seems unemployment in Ohio has improved enough the extended benefits are now reduced from 20 weeks. I received an email today indicating I'm only eligible to receive benefits until December 12.


This is just two weeks after the bootcamp starts, and 3 months before it ends. My Ohio Means Jobs coach indicated he would request an additional extension for me, back when I believed my benefits would last until the end of January. I don't know how long that request takes, nor if it would actually be approved, but I've forwarded the above email to him. 

Not that I wish ill on anyone, but considering the latest COVID news it's possible Ohio unemployment will go up again. I doubt it will up the extension within the next 3 weeks though. It's also possible Congress will finally pass the stimulus package they've been arguing over for months. Again, I doubt that will happen within the next 3 weeks. 

I do not yet have confirmation my unemployment benefits claim has actually been accepted. Once I have that confirmation, I can do the math to determine how long I have before I run out of money again. Meanwhile, I wait to hear from my coach, prepare to start the bootcamp, and hope. I'm not happy to be on unemployment for another 3 months, but I'm invested in this bootcamp and that's what it will take to complete it. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accomplishments:
7K steps
Put away laundry
Clean kitchen
Dishes
Make falafel
Make fried chickpeas
Watch Narrative Television round 2 episode 2
Watch Critical Role

No comments: