Pages

November 23, 2020

11/23/2020: Bootcamp equipment pickup and unemployment update

Surprisingly (to me, anyway), the Tech Elevator bootcamp provides everyone a laptop. I guess it makes some sense. We don't get to keep the laptop after the bootcamp is over, but this way at least they know everyone has the same equipment. I got the impression the actual coding would happen online, so really all one needs is internet and a compatible browser. I wonder if they provide equipment to every cohort, or if the Ohio Means Jobs cohort is different in that respect. I do know we don't have to pay the $125 application fee, but I assumed OMJ is paying that for us. 

Regardless, I went downtown to pick up my equipment today and attended the Zoom meeting to get it all set up. 

They had us dress business casual so we could have a LinkedIn headshot picture taken. I'm still waiting for those to be emailed, so here's one of me I took when I got home. I didn't get a good look at the ones they took, but from what I saw I'll probably use this one. Even if I do look stiff and like a deer in headlights. I have no idea why I tilt my head like that in every picture of me ever taken. 


 We have a virtual meet and greet tomorrow at noon, and the actual bootcamp starts next Monday. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's been 3 weeks since I submitted my re-application for unemployment. I should still have 12 weeks remaining in the 20 of extended benefits Ohio implemented with the current high unemployment rate. Because the last correspondence I received indicated approval would take 3 weeks, I called today. The automated system said my application is still in process and should be finalized "soon". I wanted to speak with someone in person, but the hold times were 30+ minutes and I don't know they could tell me anything more than the automated system. If "soon" doesn't materialize in a day or two I will call back and hold until I can speak with someone. My bootcamp financial paperwork is waiting on this, and I'm concerned it will cause problems if I can't get this resolved in my definition of soon. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accomplishments:
14K steps
Dry and fold sweats and towels
Change passwords per Chrome passwords scan

No comments: