Pages

November 2, 2020

11/2/2020: Pymetrics and walking a half marathon

I talked to my coach at Ohio Means Jobs today about my Pymetrics results. I was a bit disappointed to learn they only indicate where one falls between a black and white range, as opposed to how closely toward one side or the other one leans. They did make more sense though, once I saw the "how to interpret the results" documentation. 

Not surprising, I am cautious and deliberate in most every category. One wouldn't think so knowing I have ADHD, but factor in coping mechanisms from having failed so many, many times, and it actually does make sense. 

Decision Making: Instinctive

I disagree with this result, unless one takes into consideration my tendency to panic when I've deliberated for too long and haven't responded within the allotted timeframe. At that point, I'm just guessing to get an answer in. 

Generosity: Sharing

I'll go with this one. I don't think I was overly generous - just trying to be fair by splitting the game money I was supposed to share with the other "person."

Risk Tolerance: Adventurous

I'm pretty sure this was the game where I couldn't make myself focus 2 places at once while sets of 5 arrows popped on and off the screen. If they were blue I was supposed to mark which direction the inner arrow pointed. If they were red, the outer arrows. I was wrong more often then not, and sometimes didn't get my answer in until the next set was already on the screen. Not a fair test of whatever they were trying to determine, IMO.

Learning: Consistent

I agree, I tend to approach situations and tasks in a way that is familiar, and I take time to consider options before changing my approach. I don't know that I'm unlikely to be slowed by mistakes though. I certainly am not best suited to positions where tasks are consistent and routine - if I get bored all bets are off!

Focus: Focused

While I am capable of and actually prefer to be focused, this was not a fair sampling of my every day focusing ability. I was in test-taking mode, where I eliminate all distractions and force myself to focus. In the real world, I can only force myself to focus for so long. I agree, however, that I'm best suited for environments where I can focus on one task at a time. I am also capable of getting too focused on one task, which was one of the things they suggested I look out for. 

Emotion: Context-Oriented

Not sure I agree with this. The "game" was to interpret expressions either with or without context. I went by the context when it was provided, regardless of what I actually thought the expression meant. Pretty sure that wouldn't happen in the real world, but I didn't know what they were measuring at the time. 

Supposedly this means I do well with over the phone conversations, which is very much not true as I tend to get distracted and miss what people are saying. 

Effort: Outcome Driven

I agree I tend to approach work selectively, but do not necessarily focus on tasks with the highest reward for the time invested. In fact, one of my problem behaviors is procrastinating by doing tasks without any work-specific reward, other than that I'm not working on that thing that intimidates me or I am overwhelmed by.  

Fairness: Accepting

I tend to judge most situations as fair. This is true in that I tend to think the best of people. The actual test was not a complete representation though, since the random person chosen to give up the game money was always me. Of course I tried to be fair!

Attention: Methodical

I can see how they came to the conclusion that I'm often thorough and restrained. Again though, this was not a fair representation of my ability to ignore distractions and and stay on task. I did find it good advice, however, to be aware of over-investing time into being accurate and thorough instead of balancing that with completing the task.  

Quantitative Reasoning: Precise

I take a thoughtful and logical approach to solving problems, which matches how I see my decision-making, risk-tolerance, learning, attention, and numeric agility. It's not how my brain works in the real world, but it is how I try to force my brain to work. 

Numeric Agility: Measured

I tend to solve logic and numeric problems with a careful and measured approach. Yup. Because if I'm not careful I miss details and invariably get it wrong. I also have been known to take too long in solving problems, which was mentioned as something to look out for. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finally remembered to bring the light harness
A present from Julie

I decided to get ambitious and walked another 8 miles, making it two days in a row. I'm still thinking about the 13.1 mile goal, and even a marathon distance. That last is definitely influenced by reading my old blog, where I had that goal before everything became painful on a regular basis. I do still have knee and back pain, exacerbated when I don't stretch regularly. I'm not yet in the habit though of stretching every night. I do well if I get off the computer early enough, but I haven't been doing that lately. 

Actually, I've been going to bed later and later the past week or so. Time to reel that in again and start taking care of myself instead of spoiling myself, which actually ends up hurting me. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's accomplishments:
21K+ steps
Sweep kitchen
Make Athena food for the next 3 weeks
Dishes

No comments: