Pages

December 6, 2020

12/6/2020:

Walking is not as enjoyable right now, with the sidewalks all covered with snow. We have to walk in the street, and people are cray-cray. Some are nice and either slow down until we can get to a driveway, or at least give us a wide enough berth. Some people are more comfortable whizzing by within just a few feet of us. I'm not comfortable with that, especially at night. 


In part because I appreciate when people have shoveled their sidewalks, and in part because I wanted to work my arm / shoulder / back muscles again after shoveling the driveway, I decided to shovel our sidewalk as our morning outing today. Everything is melting, so the snow was wet and heavy! I didn't get my 10K steps for the day, but I did get a workout. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm trying to get whole turkeys on sale, as long as I can fit them in my chest freezer, to make Athena food. She's allergic to chicken. If I can't get turkey, I'll resort to pork but I want her to get all the good stuff in the bones too. I made food for her today. 

I cook the neck, giblets, and whatever leafy veggies I'm adding in a few cups of water while the turkey is roasting. Once the turkey is cooked, I take all the meat off and pressure cook the bones in the drippings. In addition to the meat, she needs the fat, calcium, and other nutrients in the carcass. Neck, giblets, leafy veggies, and bones go through the blender until I can't hear anything pinging around - usually 2-3 minutes per batch. It takes several batches to get everything processed. This time blended the collards, leaving the broccoli and carrots in chunks to give her different flavors depending on what's in each bite.  


One turkey lasts about a month, working out to about 1/3 each of meat, veggies, and brown rice. I give her half a container in the morning and half a container in the evening, plus about half a cup of dry food to make sure she's getting all the nutrients she needs. A large bag of dry food costs $55+ and lasts a few months at this rate. What I made today cost less than $25.


She gets at least one teeth cleaning type treat per day (recently dried pig ears, which she LOVES), and at least a taste of pretty much everything I eat. She's so spoiled, which makes me very happy. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My BFF left a care package on my back porch this afternoon. I'd let my phone run out of juice so didn't get it when she dropped it off, but found it in from our evening walk. 


I've had a really rough week, with financial stress, Craig being sick, and just life in general. She decided I needed an early Christmas. That's Critical Role wrapping paper and tape. The tape came right off, so I now have 2 almost pristine pieces of Critical Role wrapping paper. The bag is bananas, because she received like twice what she ordered (she has her groceries delivered these days). She suggested banana bread, but I decided frozen bananas was a better idea. I'd forgotten how much I love frozen bananas!


This is the softest, warmest, fuzziest Gilmore's Glorious Goods robe ever! It's hooded, which makes it look like a jacket if you can't see how long it is. I'll be wearing it on my Zoom meetings, since I don't keep the house warm enough for sitting all day long. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accomplishments:
6K+ steps
Dry and fold laundry
Make Athena food
Dishes

No comments: