Pages

December 14, 2020

12/14/2020:

I completed outlining the Inheritance reading during today's lecture, which puts me a day behind on outlining class reading. I should have done this over the weekend, as I want to have read and outlined everything prior to the class teaching that subject. 

I was also about to complete the inheritance coding homework (Bank Account classes) and homework challenge during the lecture. The challenge involved accepting a BigDecimal data type instead of int for account balances. After, I reverse engineered the homework tests and updated them to test the challenge code. This way I was able to verify the code worked as expected even after I made additional changes like allowing the user to input the amount as double, string, or BigDecimal. I asked Gregor (the instructor) to review the challenge code when he has time, and let me know if there was a better way to complete the project. 

I am determined to learn the best way to code things, so no one can pray on my insecurities the way Jason did. No one will ever rewrite my code without explaining to me what was wrong with it, again. I won't fall for "I can't explain, it was just wrong" again, either. 

I spent pretty much the rest of the day helping John, Randsom (with Justin in the room), and Katrina with the homework. I want to help them understand what we're doing, instead of just telling them what to write. To do that, I ask questions, trying to point them in the right direction. This can be very frustrating. I don't know if it was me forcing them to think about it, their fatigue, or what. John and Katrina kept trying to put code in the parenthesis where the conditional statement goes, and I had to point them at the reading a few times to remind them how to manage things like looping through an array or how to write a for each loop. Part of the problem I know is me asking the wrong questions, or not explaining what I'm looking for well enough. Ransom seemed to have a better grasp of coding in general, but I was challenging even for him. His main problem turned out to be where he created his classes. That took a while to figure out!

This week's pathway picture challenge was of our fur babies:

Best selfie I think I've ever taken. I have to remember to smile with my mouth closed more often. 

Athena is almost always on the bed behind me while I'm in the office. When she's not, she's under the desk at my feet. I put a blanket down there because the plastic mat gets cold these days!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I find I don't drink while I'm at the computer, and it's becoming a problem. I really do need at least 2 quarts of water, preferably three. Otherwise I start eating sugary and salty foods instead of drinking, and I get constipated. Constipated can get extremely painful, and I'd really like to avoid that if I can. Also, I'm pretty sure that's part of why I ended up with a UTI.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accomplishments:
14K+ steps
Dishes
Stretch

No comments: