Pages

December 12, 2020

12/12/2020:

Athena does NOT like to walk in the rain, even a light rain. It was raining this morning, and I was not going to have her pee in the house. She doesn't understand the grass pad is for peeing, and has peed upstairs twice now. Once was on my bedroom rug, but the other time was on the carpet in the exercise room.

I don't like to pull her, so pushed her instead. Then I blocked her way back to our house and slowly herded her down the street. That worked for one house, before she sat down in the mud. I little frustrating since I'd just given her a shower yesterday. She's muddy every time we walk right now, but that's just her legs and feet. I've been using a rag to clean that up, though tonight I put her in the basement shower. She was VERY happy to only get her legs wet. 

Ultimately, she did pee. I immediately let her lead the way home, congratulating and praising her the whole way. She will learn, I hope, if it's raining and she pees right away she can go back inside right away.

With the rain we didn't get in the high step count I hoped. I was enough to get 10K on our evening walk. 

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I completely bombed my quiz today. I took it immediately after working on memorizing my Elevator Pitch, which may not have been the best idea. I should have reviewed the material again, or maybe treated it like an open book quiz. 

It was all about Classes, which is where my knowledge starts to get fuzzy. I can create a Class. I get properties,  methods, and most of the access modifiers. I know what Encapsulation is, but I struggled with how it actually played out in practice. It doesn't make sense to me a method, even for a derived property, would be void. Then it asked about a setter for a private property, and I thought the signature would be the same. I'm not even sure now if I have those two backwards.  

I understood instances couldn't access static methods, that they were only accessible by the Class. I'm not sure what the difference is between an instance and an instance method, but apparently the instance method CAN access a static method. 

I initially thought the method signature included just name and parameters, then saw an answer with return type too and second guessed myself. It made sense, since you have to return the same data type as the return type. I guess if you're not returning anything that wouldn't be necessary. 

I'll obviously review the material again. If nothing else, when I put the quiz results in my OneNote. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Elevator Pitch, from memory:

I'm Jan. My adventure began as legal admin with an art degree and a knack for learning software. I was a single Mom, earning my Masters on evenings and weekends. I went into Software Support, loving the challenge and satisfaction of figuring things out. I soon made team lead, then developer. I'd like to know everything about everything, so continued learning both at work and on my own. I found writing code fed my creative but, and the instant gratification of it working fed my ADD. I'm a completionist who tracks daily achievements, and I like to see people succeed. I'm looking for a team who can appreciate the wide range of skills I've picked up on my winding road.

I'm still not happy with the last line. I need to look up circuitous in the thesaurus again, but not tonight. It's 10 pm and that's my new bedtime.  

 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Accomplishments:
13K+ steps
Clean kitchen, including cupboards and floor
Wash kitchen rug and towels

No comments: