Pages

February 14, 2011

Wheeeeeeeeee!

Lots of adventure around here lately.
Can you see the red-breasted robin, just left of center?
I had 3.5 miles on tap for Saturday. On my run I saw a red-breasted robin. This, in combination with the passing of single digit temperatures, means winter is almost over! I believe it, and you can't convince me otherwise!

I haven't been using my GPS app because I figured out where the mile-and-a-half mark was at the park, and because I didn't want to know how slow I currently run. I wasn't sure where the 3.5 mile marker was though, so pulled it out for Saturday's run. Turns out my 3 mile runs have been 3.5 miles. The additional loops around the shelter areas Saturday netted me 4 miles. I'm ahead of my game!

Sunday, I volunteered for my first race, the Run With Your Heart Trail Challenge.

The leader won by a good 10 minutes.
I could have wished for better communication as I wasn't sure exactly where I was supposed to be, but it all worked out in the end. It was awesome to see all the runners, and the winner was just incredible! He ran 6 minute miles over snow, ice, and hilly bridle trails.

Today was my turn to run on ice. I had 3 miles on the calendar, so got myself up early and headed to the park. Yesterday and this morning the temperature was in the upper 30s, so the snow packed trail started to melt. The majority of the trail was a solid sheet of ice.
You can't really see that this is a glistening and glassy surface...
I ran when I could, but walked a lot more than I wanted. After what I thought was a mile or so, I gave up and turned back. As soon as I could, I made my way to the road and ran that back down. Normally I would consider this very dangerous, as the road has no shoulder, is twisty turny, and people regularly drive it faster than the posted speed. This morning, the road was less dangerous than the trail.

I thought I was cutting my run short, but my GPS called out 3 miles just as I turned into the parking lot. Score!

After my run was swimming, line dancing, and more mudding at my parent's house. It's a good thing I've learned so much by remodeling my parent's house. Monkey Boy came home from working out today, and did this to my shower:

Luckily that's concrete behind the tile!
Unfortunately, I'm not confident in my ceramic tile work (you can see my work at the top - I tiled the wooden windowsill). I'm getting estimates tomorrow on redoing all the tile in the room. I knew it needed to be done. I just expected I'd get to choose when. Not what I planned to do with my tax refund, but at least I have my tax refund to tap for the repair.

Also tomorrow, 3 miles of speed work. Quarter mile intervals, each progressively faster than the last. I know I can hit a 10-minute mile pace!

No comments: