Pages

February 8, 2011

I'm a supplement junkie

I want to be healthy. I want to make sure my body has everything it needs to function well. I realize my body would have everything it needs if I ate a wide range of fruits and vegetables every day, but that doesn't always happen. I eat a lot of good stuff, but I eat a lot of bad stuff too. Because I want to be healthy, I supplement.

I spend a lot of money on supplements. I research every new one I see on the drug store shelf. They all sound so good for me! I think if I could get all my nutrition from supplements, I would. It would certainly eliminate that nasty tendency to overeat...
This is the handful of supplements I currently take
  • I take a Multivitamin, sans iodine because my overactive thyroid thrives on iodine, which I don't want. There aren't many of those out there.
  • I take extra E, because I fear the heart disease that runs rampant in my family.
  • I take extra Calcium because I worry about osteoporosis. It's good for bones, teeth, muscles (including the heart), and possibly metabolism. I've only ever had 4 cavities. That says something...
  • I take extra D, because my family is known to be deficient in D, because it helps with calcium absorption, and because it's supposed to reduce inflammation. I get a lot of arthritic inflammation.
  • I take extra Iron, because every time I've tried to give blood, they said my iron was too low. They don't want my blood now because of the thyroid condition, but still.
  • I take a B Complex because it helps with metabolism, skin, muscle, the immune and nervous systems, and because as an active woman, I'm "supposed to."
  • I take Potassium because I run, and because it helps reduce calcium secretion in post-menopausal women. That would be me. See Calcium above.
  • I take a Multi-Omega (3-6-9) because it helps with arthritis (See D above) and is good for the heart, reducing bad cholesterol
  • I take Glucosamine because of my arthritic hip and problematic knees. 
  • I take Copper, because I've heard it helps with both overactive thyroid and arthritis. These claims haven't been proven by studies or my experience, but I'm still taking it (at least until it's gone). 
  • I take a massive dose of Biotin, because my thyroid makes my nails brittle and the biotin counteracts that. Measurably. Like I can see the difference within days.
  • I take 5-HTP because when my thyroid first went wacko, I could not sleep through the night. Melatonin did not help, but this does.
Some of these I know work. Most of them I simply hope work. I realize a lot of what I take may do little more than create vibrant, vitamin laden pee. Still, most days will find me popping a handful of pills. The composition of that handful has changed over the years. Sometimes I've stopped taking them all for months at a time. I always go back to them, though.

What is your take on supplements? Do you take any? Do you believe they work?

Today's run was 2 miles of progressive quarter-mile sprints, with a few quick stretches or a walk around the room in between. I started at 5mph and finished at 5.7mph, feeling I could go faster at the end. Next Tuesday I'm doing the same thing, with the 3-miler on my calendar. We'll see if I can go 6mph, at least for a quarter mile!

    5 comments:

    Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

    I have a massive amount of awesome vitamins, but I am terrible at taking them. It hink this post of your is the kick in the butt I need to start taking them again.

    trailmomma said...

    Wow you DO take a lot of supplements. :) Nothing wrong with that. The only thing I am taking right now is a prenatal pill (which I took before I had children due to the high iron levels since iron pills destroyed my tummy). Regardless, you do what is working for you.

    Before kids I would take ton of vitamins too even though I eat fairly healthy. Like you said, not always! HA

    Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    BabyWeightMyFatAss said...

    Do you take them in a multivitamin pill? That seems like a lot of pills to take but it's good that you do them.

    Lorraine said...

    You take more supplements than I do. My pill meal contains Glucosamine, Iron, Potassium, Vitamin E, Mulitvitamin, Vitamin D, Calcium, Vitamin C, and a couple of prescription pills

    Emz said...

    I thought I took a lot.

    You. Have. Me. Beat. For. Sure.

    I'll be looking into copper. ;)