Pages

February 16, 2011

Missed a day

My calendar shows today was core work, with swimming and climbing on the side. None of that happened.
I had the wings on my foot touched up Monday
Because I have new ink on my ankle, I cannot swim until at least next week. That meant I wasn't following someone else's schedule this morning, and could show up at the Y any time. I told myself I would do my core work when I went there to shower, after working at my parents'.

When I got to my parents' I decided today was the day to get rid of the ice on their steps and sidewalk. I spent a bit of time chopping, had my Dad pour boiling water on the worst of it, chopped some more, then salted and went in to sand and mud over the refrigerator. After laying about 2 lbs. of mud, I went back out and chopped again. I did manage to make the stairs passable and clear a path on the sidewalk. I also managed to give myself blisters on the tips of both pinky fingers. There was no way I was rock climbing with blisters. I called my sister to cancel as I headed home.

When I got home, since I was already in work clothes, I decided it was the perfect time to get started on the bathroom...
Oh the fun I found!
I've pulled about 3/4 of the tile down, and found I've got a bigger job ahead of me than I thought. The ceramic tile covered a metal tile (you can see it to the left of the window above), which is glued to the plaster wall. The back of the tub has a wooden board inserted into the wall, which shows water damage. The wall at the foot of the tub was patched with some sort of concrete, which is now crumbling. The wall under the window is concrete, but the sides of the window are plaster. My favorite part is the wall with all the plumbing in it, which is a concrete firewall between my condo and my neighbor's, simply plastered over.

There is no way to replace any of the firewall, nor the window wall, so I have to get all the adhesive off somehow. I will have to piece together concrete wallboard where the plumber goes in to replace the diverter and stems. The back wall with the wood piece is all coming out, and I will replace that with concrete wallboard. The remainder of that wall and the wall with the door on it will also be replaced (where the tile was, not floor to ceiling) with green board.

I don't usually count my domestic archeology (my mother's phrase) as training or cross training. I could very well say I worked my arms today, but I won't. I'm calling this a missed training day, because I could have done the core work even without going to the Y. Now, I'm exhausted and ready for bed. Tomorrow, I'll double up with core work and my 4-mile run. Then it's back to the domestic archeology. My mother is coming over with tools, and since her car is larger than mine she will help me get the wallboard home.

I already miss the ability to shower in the privacy of my own home.

2 comments:

Emz said...

ok
the
ink
is
OHHHHHHHHHHHH soooooooooooo
cool.

Love it.

Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

It may take a while, but oh, man, the satisfaction you'll get from bathing in there when you are all done, BOOM.