Pages

December 14, 2011

A little progress goes a long way

This is me, finishing up the mudding on the ceiling of my parent's master bedroom. I'm taking tomorrow off the remodeling project to make more cookies with Energizer Bunny. I want to send Monkey Boy and Ninja care packages, since I'm not really doing Christmas. Even with a day off, I'll finish the bedroom next week. Thursday I will give everything a once over, and may start putting texture on the ceilings. Friday I will finish texturing. Next week I will prime, paint, finish woodwork, and get everything back where it belongs.

It's nice to have everything scheduled out, with time to spare. That was not the case for most of today. It all started about 4am, when I finally got to sleep. I woke up around 9, but was understandably tired and not very well focused. I stretched, but not very much, nor very effectively. As soon as I opened my eyes, I was thinking about everything I wanted to get done today, and immediately felt a bit overwhelmed. This feeling was only intensified when I began working on my quotes database, which is the first step to working with SQL and being a database administrator.

I guess I knew this, as I've been in Access within the last few months, but I obviously forgot this database program is an whole different animal from the one I worked with 10 years ago. It's all relational and object oriented now. I understand the terms and concepts, but will have to spend some time learning the program before I can really do much with SQL or database administration. I didn't have a schedule for SQL, other than the time limit my available funds puts on getting a job. Adding this new learning curve in sets me back, which was disconcerting.

The pressure of having to learn a program before I can learn what I planned carried over into my work at my parent's house too. The more time I spend there, the less time and energy I have to focus on my learning goals. The house has to get done, and I'm the only one capable of working on it right now. I wouldn't be able to focus on learning all day every day anyway. Knowing this and not stressing about it are two entirely different things.

All of this combined with the stress of not having enough hours in the day. This day, specifically. I had to get the ceiling prepped today, so I can do cookies tomorrow. I had 400s on the training plan, a bathroom to clean, studying to do, and plans in the evening. I shuffled all possible combinations of activities on the drive to my Mom's, ultimately deciding the run would have to be put off another day. Instead, I did 10 pilates ball pushups and called my construction work cross training. Rest is an important part of a training plan, right? This is what I'm calling a rest day. That's my story and I'm sticking with it!

No comments: