Pages

November 20, 2010

Taking the High Road

My knee is swollen. It hurts to walk. It hurts more to run. Much as I want to run the Cleveland Fall Classic tomorrow, I believe it is in the better interest of my running career to DNS.

I've been through this before. I think (hope) it's just from overtraining. It happens every time I start feeling good, start pushing things a little. Last time it was pushing the mileage. This time it was pushing the speed. The problem is, I don't know what my body feels like just BEFORE it decides to complain in such a loud and uncomfortable fashion. I don't even know at what point the complaining goes from low steady grousing to loud and obnoxious. The whole process is uncomfortable anyway, and I don't hear the difference until it's too late. Then I end up here.

I'm taking some time off from running. I know, this will set me back and I'll have to work my way up to where I was at the end of October, all over again. I'll have to rebuilt slowly and carefully, so I don't send myself right back where I am today. I'll have to find another activity, or group of activities, that will burn my thyroid excess and keep my muscles strong until I can run again. I should be ready in mid-February to run the Run With Your Heart 15K trail challenge.

At this point, my plan is walking, stretching, rolling, and lots of ibuprofen. I should be able to do short, 1-milers again in a week or two. I'll just work my way back up from the beginning again.

1 comment:

Goose said...

I understand. Wishing you a super speedy recovery.