Pages

April 9, 2012

A picture a day: Easter

When I told Superman I was back in blogging mode, he told me about a friend of his who is posting a picture a day on Facebook. I like that idea a lot.


This was today's Easter dinner. We used to have Easter dinner at my parent's, but my Mom's house is not currently fit for a party. The living room furniture is all piled up on itself, the walls are mudded and waiting for prime. The dining room is half primed, filled with bits and pieces of kitchen, and everything is coverd with a thick layer of construction dust. The kitchen is closest to being back together, but even that still needs all cabinetry primed and painted.

For a while, we had Easter dinner at Aunt Gertie's. This was when we divyed up the holidays amongst the local households. Easter at Aunt Gertie's, which was a couple hour drive but made it so she didn't have to drive in and back out again every holiday. Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Labor Day were at my house, because with my tiny condo I could only host that many people in a picnic setting out back. Then my Dad appropriated Fourth of July, which was fine. He made a big thing out of grilling steaks every year. Energizer Bunny did Thanksgiving for almost 30 people once you added up both sides of the family. Christmas was at my parent's until all the renovations started. The last few years, while my parent's house has been in various stages of construction, we've done Fourth of July and Christmas at Big Bro's.

Since Aunt Gertie moved to Florida, we've been at a loss for Easter. My parent's has been under construction. Energizer Bunny already does a HUGE spread for Thanksgiving, and Big Bro does most holidays with his wife's family. Last year we tried to go to an all-you-can-eat buffet, but the lines were literally out the door. We ended up at Quaker Steak and Lube, because it was the only place we could think of at the time. We decided to try that again this year, but I don't think anyone was truly satisfied. Burgers and wings just don't say Easter, in my book. They had a $20 buffet with prime rib and ham, but it was well picked over by the time we got there, and I wouldn't call it worth the price even fresh.

Next year my Mom's house will be in company condition. I think we're moving back to the old homestead for Easter. I like that idea a lot, too.

1 comment:

Rose @ Eat, Drink, and Be Meiri said...

We accidentally celebrated Easter by trying to make plans with friends and getting invited to a brunch they were having. Normally we wouldn't do anything.