Pages

July 31, 2013

7/31 - My brain hurts

This little gem is my very first successful code/script! It's not the prettiest thing, but it works and complies with all of the criteria.

It has:
a Variable - (name)
a Method - set_name
a Class - Diner
a String - any of the green text in quotes
a Symbol - the : in front of food1-8
a Hash - the :food1-8 list
a Loop - the current_iteration_number bit

The code basically greets Mr. Bigglesworth, then asks if he's hungry. If he answers n, it tells him to have a nice day. If he answers y, it suggests 4 of the food items in the hash. If he answers anything else, it tells him it doesn't know how to respond.

I literally worked on this all day today. I was truly at my wits end, stressed enough to not even eat lunch (which NEVER happens!). I'm having a very difficult time with the noise levels in PD. There is one person on my team who is often conversing (loudly) with at least one other person. I don't know how he gets any work done. I've tried wearing headphones and using white noise mp3s, but I can't play it loud enough to keep from being distracted. I literally had to go find a quite spot over by Support. There were people talking in Support, but it was a low hum, muffled by the cubical cloth wall acoustics.

Even with a quite work area, I didn't think I was making any headway on this assignment. I was spinning my wheels, Googling incessantly, skimming over information on all the items above, and trying to figure out where to even start. I had several false starts, where the original scope was too ambitious or the direction I was heading led to dead ends. I left work right at 5:00, which also never happens. By the time I got home I'd decided I needed to cut the project down, to make it more manageable. It took probably 2 hours of complete quiet to finally find a valid starting place. Once I had a portion of code working, it was easier to use trial and error to add the other aspects I needed.

Now all I have to do is write a stored procedure for my Programming with SQL Server class, then figure out what the heck I'm supposed to do with the .NET homework. That will at least get me caught up, and I can focus on any homework from tomorrow or Friday over the weekend. I'm not worried about the stored procedure, and finishing this has given me some confidence about the .NET stuff. I'm not saying this was easy, because it wasn't, but it did come together eventually. Finding a quiet corner to work helped.

I went back and forth all day about whether my scheduled run tonight would be beneficial. I knew it would be good for stress reduction, but so would actually getting the assignment done. It turned out to be a non-issue, as I came home and immediately dug into the assignment again. I barely raised my head to say hello to Superman, who was awesome about giving me the room and silence I needed to get this done. So I won't get my 5 days of workouts in this week. I'm not concerned, since the goal is to average about an hour a day, and the weekend runs are currently averaging 2-3 hours each. I can say I haven't had any sugar for the past 3 days, and I haven't snacked after dinner either. I also drank a full gallon of liquid today, so I've got that going for me. Tomorrow is another Tap Out class, which is easy since I'm already at work. I just have to show up.

No comments: