Pages

July 20, 2013

7/19 - Progress and prioritizing


Today I successfully created a shape in Blender. This is progress! Additional progress was remembering more menu commands, and finding things like the ability to cover this random piece in fur with just a single click.

I'm still trying to decide what I'm going to do with Blender once I figure out how to use the program. I have a few ideas I'm not quite ready to share, but I'm definitely pondering where I want to go with this. I can tell you there will be far more detailed images than this one. I'm just not certain what those images will be, yet.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's 4 mile run turned into the worlds most difficult 3 mile walk/run. Runs like this are always a learning experience. Sometimes a relearning expedience. With all the growing muscles, I'm sore and tight enough for things to start pulling out of alignment, so I have to be careful about my knees and back. I've found being tight changes my stride, which makes running uncomfortable because I'm using muscles I wasn't before, so everything gets fatigued more quickly.

Today I was reminded whenever my muscles get sore and tight with growth, I tend to start thinking they will always feel that way. Intellectually I know this is not the case and my muscles will heal, that the sore and tight is just tiny tears that will ultimately make me stronger. Emotionally it's uncomfortable and I want it to stop. I start thinking if I stop the discomfort will too. The truth is I always feel better when I hit it again, even if I can't hit it as hard as the workout originally called for.

I ran a shake-out mile earlier this week, and that run loosened me up for the better part of the day. Ultimately today's run was a shake-out as well, and even though it sucked in the moment I felt much better throughout the day for having gone there. I'm again thinking of running at least a mile a day, first thing in the morning, just to work out the kinks. I've already switched my cross-training plan to the classes at work (and even calling it cross-training, which I wasn't before), so why not switch up the actual run plan as well?

In case you haven't noticed, my training plans are nothing if not fluid. It's always an adventure to see what I'll be planning come next week!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today was challenging at work. I found I was over thinking my SQL homework assignment. I talked with the instructor, who told me "We already have a General Ledger program! Just show how you would record the transactions." So that's what I did. I came up with two different solutions to the 3rd request, and I still don't know which is best. They cover different aspects of the question, and the question really isn't answered without both. However, I couldn't figure out how to combine both into a single solution within the given parameters. I probably over-thought that as well. Thinking about it now, the point was to create a view, not solve for world peace.

I also spent some time working with V on the card we worked on together yesterday. Turns out we didn't complete everything we were supposed to do. My mistake (in addition to the ones I made yesterday) was to not read the exit criteria, which is what tells us how the program should look or respond once the task is completed. Apparently working with me threw V off as well because once we finished the first part, he submitted the changes without looking at the criteria to see if there was more on the list.

Today we got into some of the code on the form we'd edited yesterday. I don't yet understand all the details of what we were looking at, though I do understand what we were looking for, and how what we found was incorrect. We (meaning V) found the values being passed to the form that were causing the incorrect output. Monday we'll work on where those incorrect values come from. It will likely be in one of the ~2600 stored procedures.

The afternoon was spent in a .NET Fundamentals class, which would have been a bit simpler if I knew any sort of programming language. Ultimately we worked in Visual Basic, which has been on my list to learn for probably 10 years. I guess I'm going to finally get around to doing that, if I'm going to need it for work. Actually, I might not need it for work just yet since Bacon Patrol is written using Power Builder. Power Builder uses a graphical interface to mimic .NET-like functions. There is talk of eventually converting the program to .NET, because Power Builder is somewhat outdated. This means I'll likely need .NET at some point. Maybe if I get started now I'll be up to speed by then. Let me just add it to my list.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've started an actual physical (well, technically is virtual, but you get the idea) list of things I want to learn. There are several entries already, including multiple computer-related items, like Blender and Visual Basic. I haven't figured out how I'm going to learn any more than I'm already working toward. I assume once I get good at one thing I won't have to focus so hard, and can add another. Another question is, how good do I want to get?  Some of this will be helpful at work, and I'll be able to practice there. Some I may realize I don't really want to know, once I get into the research. I already know it's impossible to be an expert at everything. I don't want to be mediocre at everything either.

Dr J has said she finds it difficult to focus on more than one thing at a time. My friendly neighborhood Goddess has pointed out more than once how I like to take on the world. It's pretty much a given, when I get to taking on anything I try to take on everything. I like to think there's a happy medium in there somewhere, where I can get better at focusing on multiple routes to improvement without feeling I need to get it all done (and get it done right!), right now. I'm thinking there's a lesson in patience and acceptance in there somewhere. Or maybe the lesson is to live in the moment. THIS is what I'm focusing on now. Now it's THIS.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another thing on my list is learning how to forgive. I like to think I'm an easy going person. Sure, I like to complain, but I don't tend to stay mad at people. Except apparently sometimes I do. There is one person I really believe I need to learn how to forgive, because every time I think of that person I get mad all over again. It's not healthy. I don't have to spend time with this person, or even like them. I do however need to learn how to let go of this anger. It's been months and months, and all it takes is a stray thought to set me off again. Not good, and I'm getting tired of it taking up my energy and hijacking my thoughts. I guess that's probably the first step.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Today I laughed at silly little things. I've turned into something of a worm savior, picking them up off the sidewalk and putting them back in the grass before they dry up and die on the concrete. I picked up a huge worm this morning, and was startled into laughter as it started wriggling manically trying to get away. Usually the worms are more dehydrated and apparently exhausted, as I haven't seen that reaction in a very long time. I'd forgotten they do that, and it made me laugh as the worm kept wriggling out of my fingers while I tried to move it off the sidewalk. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if I'll have time to post tomorrow. I have a wedding to go to, in addition to my normal Saturday activities. I've pushed my long run to Sunday, when the temperatures are supposed to drop from mid-90s to mid-70s. Logistically this works best with the wedding anyway.  It doesn't look like Monkey Boy is coming home this Saturday (I may have misunderstood), or it would be a REALLY crazy weekend. Now it will just be full, and hopefully fun. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





No comments: